- What is the cost?
No charge. All services that York provides are free.
- Who will provide the services?
Becky Kischnick is our advocate. For her qualifications see our team page.
- When will the advocacy program begin?
Advocacy begins in September and anytime thereafter during the school year.
- Are there any requirements for the students you service?
Our primary focus is elementary age children who are attending a school in the Clarksville or Jeffersonville area.
- Will you go into private schools or charter schools as well as public schools?
We will do student advocacy in any school in the Clarksville or Jeffersonville area.
- How do we contact York?
You can contact York through our website.
- How do we register and how does the process work?
1. Anyone desiring services will contact us through our website. Click on the green link above that says through our website.
2. We will connect with you through e-mail or a phone call to discuss how you would like to share information.
3. We will either have an extended phone conversation, meet at a mutually agreed upon location, or a home visit will provide conversation. Forms will also be completed giving us permission to access school information and to work with the child.
4. We will meet with the child. The child will also provide their thoughts and concerns.
5. The guardian will contact the school to let them know York will be coming to the school regularly to meet with the child, and that York has permission to do so.
6. After the guardian has contacted the school, York will contact the school to set up visits, etc.
7. York will also contact the teacher so we know classroom goals; they may have input into York goals for the child. It is our desire to work with the teacher and guardians in the best interest of the child.
8. Classroom observation occurs. Discussion will take place with guardian and student.
9. First goal setting occurs.
10. Lunch connections begin and weekly progress checks. Parents will receive weekly e-mails or phone calls.
- In the end, who makes decisions for the child?
Discussions will take place, and parents will have the final say in matters concerning their child.
- Is York still planning on having a kindergarten program or other early childhood program?
Yes – we will continue to work on obtaining a space and funding for our early childhood project. We will keep you up to date on the website.